Be a SuperHero!
Run, Walk or Stroller Roll to Help Abused Children
Every child needs a hero, but abused children need SuperHeroes. Make a difference in the life of an abused or neglected child today by participating in the 3rd Annual SuperHero 5K, Walk & Stroller Roll benefiting Guardian ad Litem (GAL) Foundation of Tampa Bay. This event will raise community awareness of the 3,000 children in Pinellas and Pasco Counties who have been removed from their homes by no fault of their own. Monies raised will make a difference in the lives of children in foster care here in our local community. The family friendly all ages and abilities event will be held on Saturday, September 23, 2017, along the beautiful Safety Harbor Waterfront.
Saturday, September 23, 2017, 8:30 AM
Race begins and ends at Nolan’s Pub, 230 Main Street, Safety Harbor, FL 34695 (see map for parking)
Cost & Registration*
- Running-5K – Adult Registration (18 years +):
$30 (from 7/2 thru 9/11)
$35 (9/11 thru 9/22)
$40 (day of)
- Running-5K – Youth 8-18 (w/race materials): $20; or $25 (9/11 through day of race)
- Running-5K – Youth Under 8 (no materials): $0
- Running-5K – Virtual SuperHero: $25
- This is a chip timed race using disposable bibb tag timing
- Children under 8 are free if you do not need race materials for them (i.e. bibb, shirt, medals, etc.) If you have a child under 8 and would like race materials please use the normal youth registration (youth registration is up to age 18)
- Race course is all on road or sidewalk and much of it overlooks the beautiful shoreline of Tampa Bay
- Early packet pickup will be Tuesday, Sept. 19th and Wednesday, Sept. 20th from 4:00 PM thru 7:00 PM at American Running Company, 26024 US Hwy 19 North, Clearwater, FL 33763 (runners who pick up will get 15% off American Running Company purchases made on that day)
- Parking locations in Safety Harbor can be found here
- Free beer for adults and root beer for children at finish line!
- Click here to see the route
- Activities before and afterwards for runners and families
- Awards will be given for top qualifiers of the 5K Run and all participants will receive a medal
- SuperHero costumes are encouraged but not required
- Snacks and water will be provided
- Even though the race is in the Fall, sunscreen should always be worn to protect your skin when in the out of doors
Want to Do More?
Want to volunteer to help? Visit here to sign-up.
Start a Fundraiser
Be a SuperHero whether you participate in the event or not, start a fundraiser by getting your friends and family to pledge support in honor of our communities’ most vulnerable children. The funds you raise will help to provide resources for children in our local community, such as: basic needs like beds, clothing, uncovered medical expenses, tutoring and school supplies, as well as extracurricular activities that allow kids to be kids.
Just in the first quarter of this year, we have seen a 70% increase in the needs of the children we serve. More children than ever before (since 2008) are coming into foster care with more complex needs and their stay in care is longer. We need your help to meet this demand!
What the money raised provides: $25 provides emergency clothing, $50 provides infant needs like strollers, car seats, or diapers and formula, $100 provides a laptop or other educational supports for our teens, $250 provides an extra-curricular activity to let kids be kids or tutoring to help a child who has fallen behind in their schoolwork. 100% of the dollars raised will go directly to support program services-that means when a child’s life hangs in the balance, we can be there to provide the resources they need to succeed along with a caring, consistent adult volunteer who will make sure they have a voice in court and their needs are met.
Just like SuperHeroes, our kids wear uniforms too! Many of our children need assistance throughout the year with clothing and items for school, so at this year’s run, we will also be collecting new and gently used school uniforms in a variety of sizes and colors. We hope to see you on Saturday, September 23 in your favorite SuperHero uniform and we hope you consider bringing an extra change of clothes to support our children all year long!
There are over 1,200 children that currently do not have a Guardian ad Litem volunteer to safeguard them or advocate for their needs. Not everyone has the time or the heart to be a Guardian ad Litem volunteer but YOU can be a SuperHero in the life of a child just by becoming a sponsor of our upcoming race.
*Please note: No shows forfeit all rights to refunds or receipt of race materials. Refunds/transfers of registration are only available until 9/4/2017. If your plans change after this date, please contact email@example.com for review of options available on a case by case basis.